Saturday, March 3, 2012

My NEW sewing room chair . . . .




Oh how I LOVE chairs!

It is a standing joke now, that when ever I go OPPYing that I'm going to go home with a stray chair. . . {Unfortunately hubby doesn't see the need, but Shhhhhh he doesn't know about this one yet. hee hee}  But this time I did think, 'Where can I put you' before I bounded up to the counter with the biggest smile on my face to pay for my $8 {yes that is right} $8 chair. 
Oh how I LOVE chairs, Oh how I LOVE Oppy finds!!!!

The next Question was: "What to do with this chair"?, Then I stumbled upon Li'l Magoolie and her amazing blog and her monthly challenge:
colourmehappy-lilmagoolie.gif


Unfortunately I missed January: 

Add something yellow to your bedroom (or your kidlet’s)


and because I only found it on the 27th February I also missed February:

Paint an item of furniture in a colour that makes you happy!


So you could imagine how ecstatic I was to find that March challenge was:

Your challenge: Get crafty with the colour green


Yay! My chair fitted into all 3 months. {When I read February's challenge I already had the fabric and had planned on painting the chair white, but changed to yellow to fulfill the challenge. But I then missed the dead line {as it was only 2 days away}. So that is why I was sooooooo pleased that March was GREEN as, WALLA,  green seat cover.

I do plan on making more things GREEN as that was technically last months challenge so keep an eye out . . . . 

Anyway back to the chair, Here is how I did it.  

I took one plain boring chair . . . . 



{This is a comfy seat I must add - and no rips - Bonus!}

I sanded. . . .
Which was really easy as the varnish was flaking off anyway. If it wasn't then I would recommend using a varnish stripper like Kwik Strip {You can get it from Bunnings} I like this brand and I think it was one of the cheaper ones, but I think any Brand would be good.
P_SelleysKwikStripSmart_large.jpg

Then I primed using Fiddly Bits from Bunnings $2.95 {This is what the paint guy recommended as he said the paint would come out brighter, but I think I would prefer a lighter undercoat as it took a few coats of paint to cover the dark gray. Though in saying that I'm sure if that was possible he would have recommended that ha!
}


One UGLY gray primed chair.


The paint I chose was Taubmans: Resplendent - {I took in my fabric sample to match it}
I only got a tester pot which was around $6



I covered the seat with the fabric and gun stapled underneath.
{It doesn't have to be fancy, no one will see under here.}

Yay a pretty covered seat .




I just popped the Seat {Bit, thingy} back in, I didn't even bother screwing it or anything as I don't think it will be going anywhere!


And WALLA . . . .  A spunky new chair for my sewing room!


Tash :0)




1 comment:

  1. Wow that looks great. Would love this chair in our new bach/house when we build it. Love reading your blogs

    ReplyDelete